Allergy to American dust mite (Dermatophagoides farinae) is an allergy caused by microscopic insects that come in house dust. They feed on skin cells that people lose and thrive in warm, moist environments. The ideal environment for dust mites is bedding, upholstered furniture and carpets. The dust contains the excrement and decomposing bodies of the mites, these being the proteins that cause allergies. Dust mites encompass thousands of species, one of the most common being the Dermatophagoides farinae species. This species is very frequent and abundant inside houses, although it predominates in North America, preferring more continental and arid climates. The symptoms are sneezing, runny nose and asthma. As a prevention, it is recommended to reduce exposure to mites by using allergenic bed covers, washing bedding weekly at 60º, keeping the humidity level low, avoiding stuffed animals and carpets, removing dust with a damp cloth, vacuum regularly and install filters on furnaces and air conditioners.
At Rekom Biotech, we desing and manufacture IVD reagents for diagnosis of American house dust mite allergy. Do not hesitate to contact us!